Abby stopped by today on her way back to BSU from being home for the weekend and Emma wanted to show off her new reading skills! Abby was impressed!!!
This leads me to discuss a fear I have. Emma's birthday is August 4. The cut-off for Kindergarten this fall is August 1. She is 3 days past the cut off. Despite that, she is more than ready for Kindegarten. I thought Morgan was really ready, but Emma is even more prepared academically than Morgan was. She can do everything that Morgan did last year in Kindergarten already...including reading. She can do simple addition and very simple subtraction. She knows letters, letter sounds, shapes, colors, numbers, and can count to 100. Oh, and did I mention she can read?! I also would hate for she and Morgan to be 3 years apart in school even though they are only barely over 2 years apart in age! We had to submit a petition to allow her into Kindergarten this fall but have to wait until the week before school starts (!!!) before we know whether there will be room for her in Kindergaten or not. I sent an email to the principal last week asking if I should bring her to Kindergarten round up or not since we won't really know whether she can attend or not until August. He said basically that we can come if we want, but he'd hate to get her hopes up for going to Kindergarten and then not have her be able to get in because her chances aren't good. I am soooooo stressed about this because I just know in my heart that she needs to be in Kindergarten this fall. I've even prayed about it and the day after I prayed about it was the day that she started reading books. If that isn't a sign from God, I don't know what is! Anyway, I just wanted to put that out there. Maybe some of you could pray that there would be room for Emma in Kindergarten this fall!
Ironically, my mom was placed in a similar situation when I was ready for Kindergarten. My birthday is September 6 and the cut off was September 1 and the principal at my elementary school wouldn't even consider letting me start. She had me tested to prove I was more than ready, but they wouldn't allow it. So, I went to Kindgergarten at a different school that she paid tuition for me to attend. The next year, she took me back to my elementary school and the principal wouldn't put me in first grade so she gave in and put me in Kindergarten again until about 2 weeks into school when I read a book to the class. She got a phone call that night asking her if I could move up to first grade. Anyway.....now you know the rest of the story!


1 comment:
I will be praying for Emma to go to Kdg. It sounds like she is more than ready. I've had one family come to me about having their child skip kdg. and start in first grade. It's not like you're making that kind of request! Hang in there and don't lose faith!
Post a Comment