Lately, I've been pondering a few things that I do sometimes (or let my kids get away with sometimes) that don't exactly make me mother of the year material. My own mother was (and is) so organized and clean and on the ball that it makes me feel especially bad when I think about things I do (or do not do) that would make my mother cringe. Since my mother reads this blog, I guess this will be my little virtual confessional. Anyway, here are 10 things I do (or don't do) that I'm a little ashamed of!
1. I let my kids wear mismatched socks. Now, mind you, both socks are the same color but they might not actually be the same sock. But, I have 3 kids and I'm tired and as long as they look the same from someone else's view.....that's good enough for me.
2. I'm sometimes secretly glad when they say they don't want any breakfast because that means I don't have to fix it. I've never been a breakfast eater, but I do try to stress its importance to my kids. If they say they don't want anything, I do tell them that they really should eat something and I offer them several suggestions but if they still say they don't want anything, I don't make them like I should.
3. I let them watch too much TV. Its mostly educational. PBS, Noggin, Playhouse Disney, etc. but really...if they're hanging out and not fighting with each other and being quiet....I don't complain.
4. I leave their clean clothes folded up on their floor. This one is the one that makes my mother nutty. Part of the problem is that they really have too many clothes...but who wants to make their kid repeat an outfit in the same week? The girls share a room so there is very limited closet and dresser space but....admittedly, even if there were, I probably wouldn't get it done. Let's be honest, here people. I get all inspired and put them all away nice and neat once a week or so when it is driving me crazy, but then as soon as they wear them and they get washed, its the same cycle.
5. If I'm really tired, I'll doze on the couch while Emma watches TV in the morning. If Carter is napping and Emma is enthralled in Super Why or Sid the Science Kid, I'll just lay down and doze She talks to me about every 10 minutes or so, so it isn't like I'm in a deep sleep....but still.
6. I accidentally wake them up at night while I'm checking on them. I still check on my kids at night. Like, by checking on them, I mean walk in and make sure they're still breathing even if that means putting my hand on their chest or back to be sure its moving!
7. I tell fibs. I'd like to think this is a "don't we all" kind of thing...but the truth is, I shouldn't tell fibs past the whole "Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy" fibs. Example "yes, I'll come back up and lay down with you just as soon as I go downstairs to....get a drink/go to the bathroom/talk to Daddy/fillintheblankexcuse....you go ahead and lay down and I'll be back" This used to work. They'd fall asleep and I'd be home free. Not anymore. They'll give me about 10 minutes and then they're doing that loud stage whisper thing from the top of the stairs "MOMMY....MOMMY...YOU FORGOT TO LAY DOWN WITH ME MOMMY!"
8. Sometimes I leave for places WAY too early just so I can get them all in the car and strapped in. I often get to dance lessons, piano lessons, etc. as much as 20 minutes early and we just sit in the car for a few minutes. (sometimes with a DVD playing, but not always) If they're driving me especially bonkers, I'll say "OK! EVERYONE GO GET IN THE VAN!" This one might not work much longer as Morgan can tell time now! ha
9. If I'm eating something really good, I don't want to share it with them. This goes against our most primal instincts doesn't it? Aren't I supposed to want to provide sustenence to our children at all costs? Well, guess what? If I'm eating the last 2 pieces of bacon and some little person comes in and asks for one, I lie "sorry, kiddo, this is the last piece!" They're such little moochers.
10. I don't stress eating healthy as much as I should. I have grand intentions here. Everyonce in a while, I'll make them a perfectly balanced meal and they only eat 1/4 of it and I swear I won't do it again. I try to at least explain to them about healthy eating and by me eating a lot healthier these days, they're learning by my example...but still....mcnuggets and fries with a Sprite for dinner....yeah, not too healthy.
In spite of all of that, my kids are my life. I think every mother has her own little secrets that she wishes no one would find out. I would do anything for each one of my beautiful kids. They bring me more joy than anything has ever brought me, ever (well, with the possible exception of a certain handsome boy I like) When I get down on myself for doing any of these things, I tell myself I do 10 amazing things for each one of these less than desirable things. I do my best, sometimes I get tired, but their health, happiness, and safety are always my primary concern. My kids rock!
Not how I expected my morning to go
-
So this morning I had to get up early for a doctors appointment but instead
of my alarm I woke up to an incredibly loud IMMINENT THREAT flood warning
and s...

1 comment:
Okay Molly...I am so guilty of # 2,3, 4 (especially 4), 7, 9, & 10! I have my very own number 1, 5, & 6. Don't be hard on yourself. We all have the little things we do to get by each day...even if we're not proud of them. I can't believe you are brave enough to air your secrets! :) Keep up the great mothering...YOU rock Molly!!
Post a Comment