Blogs I read

Meijer Meal Box

Followers

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Early Morning (one-sided) Conversation

Emma likes to talk.

Emma likes to talk incessantly even when there is no response.

I enjoy talking....but not first thing in the morning before the caffeine has kicked in.

Here is our morning thus far:

7:30am-
Emma: *appears in room and then immediately asks* Where is Morgan? I woke up and looked in her bed and she wasn't there and so i went into your room and she wasn't there so I came down here and I still don't see her, where is she, Mommy?
Me: Good morning, Emma!
Emma:  Good morning, where is Morgan?
Me: She went to school.
Emma:  Oh, that's great that she went to school, I'm glad she feels better, aren't you glad she feels better Mommy?
Me: I really really am.
Emma:  Can I have some breakfast Mommy?
Me:  yep
Emma:  Ooooh, I see Daddy brought home chocolate chip cookies, are those from his class Mommy? Did he bring those home from his class?  can I have a chocolate chip cookie Mommy?
Me:  I fixed you blueberry muffin tops.
Emma:  Ok, I can eat blueberry muffin tops and a chocolate chip cookie Mommy.
Me:  Ok Emma.
Emma:  Mommy?
Me: *thinking I'm the only person here so why does she have to ask for me first* Emma?
Emma:  What?
Me:  You said Mommy?, so I said Emma?.
Emma:  Oh. *silence*
Emma:  Mommy?
Me: Yes, Emma?
Emma:  Can I just drink Morgan's drink? Is that OK if I drink Morgan's drink Mommy?
Me:  No, Morgan has germs, I will get you a new drink.
Emma:  Oh good idea, because I wouldn't want to get Morgan's germs Mommy
Me: Would you like to ride to school with Emillee today?
Emma:  Oh wow, yes, I haven't gotten to ride to school with Emillee ever.  Emillee's Mommy will pick me up and I will ride with them?
Me:  Yes, so I can stay here and work!
Emma:  Do you like to work?
Me:  Sometimes.
Emma:  Why do you work?
Me:  So we can have money to buy things.
Me:  Carter is awake, I'll be back.
Emma: *yelling to me as I walk up the stairs* OK YOU GO GET CARTER, I'LL STAY HERE AND EAT MY BREAKFAST, BUT WHEN YOU GET CARTER HE CAN COME DOWN AND EAT HIS BREAKFAST TOO, HEY MOMMY? MOMMY? CAN YOU GET MY CLOTHES WHILE YOU ARE UP THERE MOMMY?
Me: Sure, do you want to wear your new Preschool shirt?
Emma: Oh yes! I want to wear it, I have never gotten to wear it, I just got it and I like it because it is green.
Me: *Gives Emma her clothes*
Emma:  I think I will wear my tennis shoes with this but I need socks.
Me: Would you like me to get you some socks?
Emma:  Yes
Me:  Yes what?
Emma: Yes, Please!
Me: *Gives Emma socks*
Emma:  I am good at putting on socks, aren't I good at putting on socks? Sometimes I put them on and then fold them down and sometimes when my pants are too long I tuck my pant legs into my socks like this. See Mommy? But I won't do that today, I will fold them down like this.
Me: Let's fix your hair now.
Emma:  Ok, don't comb it in the middle cause it hurts when you comb it in the middle where I was bald. Do you remember when I was bald a long time ago Mommy?
Me:  Yes, when you pulled your hair out?
Emma:  Yep, I pulled it out when I twirled it in my fingers and it pulled it out and I had a bald spot and we went to Toni and she tried to cut it to fix it. Remember that Mommy?
Me:  Yep.
Emma: What are you doing there Mommy? Ow, ow, ow, ow. I think Carter wants you.
Me: Carter is fine, I'm almost done.
Emma:  When will Emillee be here?  Can we walk to her house or will she come pick me up?
Me: They will pick you up.
Me:  *walks to garage to get Emma's booster seat*
Emma:  *follows me* what are you doing Mommy? Are you getting my seat so I can ride in Emillee's car with her to preschool? I need to take something that starts with an H today for H week. On Wednesday, I got there late when Grandma drove me and so I didn't get to share my Barbie Hair Head, can I take that again today for H week, because Morgan said it was OK if I took it because really it is hers but I like to play with it too.  Can I take it?
Me: sure, go get it
Emma: Ok, I will get it...let's see, where is it? where is it?....HERE IT IS! I can't get it into my bag, can you help me get it in my bag? The hair keeps spilling out all over the place and I can't get it to stay.
Emma: *holding the statue of liberty souvenir my mom brought her from NYC* What is this thing called again?
Me:  It is the statue of liberty's crown.
Emma:  Is that that woman that is holding the light? Grandma went to New York City and saw it.  Where did she get this hat? Did she buy it in a store or something?
Me:  She bought it in New York City to give to you.
Emma:  This one doesn't have my name in it yet, Remember last night, you said you'd write names?  Can you do it today? Very quick? What is Carter doing with his food?  I should go see what he is doing with his food?  *knocks remote off of table* oops.  Sorry Mommy.  Sorry.  Sorry about that.
Emillee's Mom pulls up, Emma gets in the car, I wipe the blood from my ears and get Carter up from the table.

and scene.


Powered by ScribeFire.

3 comments:

Tia said...

You know I can relate!

The Schnicks said...

I too can relate. That scene plays out every night here at our house. I have asked Hayden on multiple occasions to just stop asking questions for a little while. He'll say, "But, why?" Argh!!! When does this phase go away?

The Schnicks said...

Just as I was getting ready to type my response Hayden says "Daddy." I feel your pain.