School is out now and the whole routine just got thrown out of whack. I also realized I haven't had an allergy shot in 2 weeks because I don't take Emma to preschool on Fridays anymore and that is when I always went! Anyway...
Today, Carter had his speech evaulation. He hasn't been speaking. Like, at all. He used to say a few words but not many and not often but he doesn't even do that anymore. So, at his 18 month checkup his doctor thought it would be best if we just got him checked out and maybe start some therapy.
I've never been to a speech evaulation before so it was really neat. The speech pathologist (Marie) was very nice and really good with him. She played with him and let him talk and watched him while he talked. The she gave him food and watched him eat it in a mirror, etc. After a lot of discussion and a lot of evaulation on her end, she said she thinks he has issues with the way he moves his tongue...or, more specifically, the way he doesn't move his tongue. She said he keeps it very centered at all times and it should be moving around from side to side when he eats and drinks and tries to talk, etc. So, we are going to start therapy once a week on Tuesday afternoons for a few weeks. Our insurance will pay 100% for 20 weeks and then we will re-evaulate and see where we are. If he needs more than that, we might switch to First Steps which would be totally free if he qualifies for it.

1 comment:
ha, Maria said the same thing when I had her get dressed, "where going mommy?" I said nowhere we just don't need to hang out in PJ's all day!
Hope the speech therapy goes well...
Post a Comment