I checked petfinder and craigslist almost daily. (Chris would say obsessively...but I'm telling this story) I was interested in a rescue mostly because I liked the idea of rescuing a puppy but also because we couldn't really afford to pay >$500 for a puppy!
So Sunday night, I found a listing for a yellow lab/golden retriever mix that was a rescue on Craigslist. They were asking $50. I called and got a voice mail. Later in the day, a black lab and a german shepherd were also listed and I emailed the person about both of them. She emailed me back and told me to call her and I realized it was the same number as the yellow lab. I asked her about it and she said she did rescues as a hobby. I talked to her for a while and she wanted $50 for the black lab or $100 for the german shepherd. I talked to Chris and he said that just wasn't in the budget. So, I called her back and told her I was really disappointed but with all the up front costs of a puppy, we just couldn't afford to also pay $50. She said after talking to me, she thought our family was perfect for this little guy so she offered to let us take him. Evidently, people often put $50 or so on craigslist so that people won't just take a free puppy and then mistreat them. I was so grateful. So, long story short...we drove to Carmel when Chris got off work, met the puppy, and fell in love! Chris said if he let me get him, he got to name him. So, I agreed. He chose Matthias because he had been doing a lot of geneology on his side of the family and that name came up over 10 or 15 times! He thought it would be cute if we called him Matty. I'm not sure I'm still 100% sold on the name, but hopefully it will grow on me soon. What I am 100% sold on, though, is this little guy......who didn't really appreciate his flea bath!

Finding a new home is a rough job....he was worn out!

No comments:
Post a Comment