Blogs I read

Meijer Meal Box

Followers

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Should I or shouldn't I?

So, I've been toying with the idea of attempting a sprint triathlon in July.  I've thought triathlons sounded like something my attention span could handle (since a 26 mile marathon sounds like 5 to 6 hours of mind numbing, boring nothingness to me)  In case you don't know (I didn't!) triathlon races vary in distance. Sprint distance is a 1/4 mile swim, 12 1/2 mile bike, and a 3.1 mile run, then there is the Olympic which is a 1 mile swim, 25 mile ride, 6.2 mile run, next is the Long Course at 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride, followed by a 13.1 mile run and lastly there is the Ironman which is an insane 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, and a marathon: 26 mile run. (I think it should be called Iron Screws-are-lose-in-your-head Man but that's just me.

I am fairly certain that I could do the 1/4 mile swim....at least at one point in my life.  Funny story actually....I was a goody-goody when I was young.  Really.  Never disobeyed my parents.  Always followed the rules.  Never smoked, never drank, never had sex.  I didn't realize anyone at my high school did any of those things either because none of my closest friends did.  It wasn't until a class in college one time that I took with a high school friend where we were discussing our hometowns and I started talking about how mine wasn't the stereotypical high school because people at our school didn't do any of that kind of thing when my friend chimed in with "Uh....Molly?"  He said it kind of in the same tone as my parents when they told me that our beloved dog Smokey didn't actually go to live with Farmer Smith and his 3 adorable children out in the country with a big open yard where he could frolic and play but instead got smashed by a semi.

Don't worry, that wasn't the funny part.

So, when I was 16 and at Senior High Church Camp at Epworth Forest in North Webster, one of the big fat rules was no swimming outside of the designated swimming area and absolutely no swimming to the island that was waaaay off shore.  I don't know exactly how far it was, but it was FAR.  You know what, here's a picture from Google Earth to better illustrate my point...

The yellow line would be the line that I swam ILLEGALLY with some of my church camp friends.  That's right, folks.  I swam about a half of a mile in the forbidden, unforgiving, open waters of Lake Webster!  There are all manner of trout and bass and seaweed in that lake...but I braved it.  Now sure, I was at church camp and, ok, we did take life vests with us to pass back and forth, and yes, we did ask one of the younger, more fun-loving counselors to sit on the pier and watch out for us to make sure none of us drowned.  So what? We were responsible rebels, but we were rebels nonetheless!

Why, yes, I do have a point, thanks for asking.

I am pretty sure that given that shining example of my bravery from almost 20 years ago, I could replicate it with a little bit of training.  So that takes care of the swimming part (in my fantasy world...dream with me, people.)

As for the running part, I completed the Couch to 5K training program last year with my good friend, Shantell (ironically also from my high school....dang, grow up, Molly!) So I know I can run that distance even though my fastest time ever at the 5K level took me quite a bit longer than what the snobby training plan told me it should, but I think that plan had it out for me from the beginning.

The cycling part is the newest addition to my ever expanding skill set.  I have never been a biker.  Ever.  In college, when all of my roommates would ride their bikes to class and back, I either had to drive and park almost as far away as I lived to get to my classes, or I'd just hoof it.  I could not handle the intricacies of cycling.  I would be OK as long as I was on, say, a 2 lane road with no one behind me or coming towards me, but put me on the tiny paved path reserved for cyclists and force me to pass anyone and all of a sudden I was that unsteady 4 year old with the training wheels freshly removed....all wobbly and out of control.  It was like a comedy routine.  Since then, however, I have started cycling in cycling class.  The benefit there is that the bikes are actually bolted to the floor.  I look like a normal person.  The little readout on the cycle at the end of a 1 hour session several months ago, told me that I had ridden exactly 22 miles.  I would like to think that I'm even faster now, and I'd further like to think that given my new found confidence on the bikes, that I'd be able to ride a real bike, outside, with people around me and be able to do only 12 miles in a reasonable amount of time!

So, the sprint triathlon in question that I'm possibly thinking about considering is on July 10 here in Muncie.  If I follow an 11 week training plan, that will get me to the date fairly easily, if not in much better shape!

Why am I posting this here for the world (and by world I mean the people who read this blog (and by the people who read this blog I mean the same people I talk to on a daily basis)) to see?

Yeah, I don't know either.

2 comments:

Tia said...

I say go for it of course! What an awesome goal! My goal right now is to get through p90x without dying. So far I am victorious.

The Schnicks said...

Yay for the tri! I hope you have fun training for it.

Now to my real comment...:) Have we talked about Epworth before? I think we have, but...What a rebel you were! My brother and his friends swam to the island and I was so freaked out that they were going to drown that I went for back up (a.k.a...Mom)! I know, I ruin all the fun. That is still one of my favorite places on earth...or at least is where some of my most favorite memories happened. I hope to visit Jess at her place there and see it all again. Good luck on your triathalon!