Blogs I read

Meijer Meal Box

Followers

Friday, October 2, 2009

you know what they say about desperate times.....

Carter has been feeling better but won't sleep worth a darn. This is my boy who ordinarily sleeps from about 7:30 or 8pm until about 8 or 8:30am and then takes 2 two-hour naps during the day. It varies a little bit, but for the most part, that is his schedule. Starting last Saturday, he woke up around 10pm every night and cried and cried. He'd wake up at least once in the middle of the night and cry for a while but I wouldn't go get him (I'd check on him and tell him he needed to go back to sleep but wouldn't pick him up) and then he'd wake up around 5:45am. Then, he wouldn't take a nap. Not cool.

Yesterday, he was just a mess. Feeling OK physically, I thought, but was into everything and would scream if I took something away from him that he wasn't supposed to have. He spilled countless glasses of pop, water, and juice on the floor in the living room causing me to break out the carpet cleaner. He woke up at around 4am and never really went back to sleep until I got him up around 6am. I layed him down for a nap at 10 and...no dice. He was not going to sleep. It was then that a little light bulb went off.

I still had some Tylenol with codeine in it leftover from Emma's tonsillectomy.

You see where this is going?

So, yes, call CPS, I gave my son some Tylenol with codeine. But...he slept.

Wow...did he ever sleep!

I layed him down at noon and went back up to get him up at 4:30. It took me a minute to get him to wake up. Then I brought him downstairs and sat him down with me and he kept falling back to sleep. So, I sat him down on the ground where he sat like this....

for about 30 solid minutes. Expressionless. Motionless. It was so pathetic it was funny. He was still nodding off while we were sitting at the dinner table.

Last night, he slept great! And today took another great nap. Now, he is starting to act like his old self again!

See, I do know what I'm doing.

Kind of.

2 comments:

The Schnicks said...

Whatever it takes my friend! :) Mom's have to do trial and error to find what works for our own kids. If it takes a little codeine to get them to sleep again...go for it!

Chris Day said...

You drugged my son? Wow! I think I'll get my own drink next time just in case!