I am going to run a half marathon.
Back in 2005, Chris and I attempted to participate in the Indianapolis Mini Marathon. I made it to mile 6 and quit. Literally, collapsed in a heap of tears on the ground. I just sat there and waited for the big bus o' failure to stop by and scoop me up. I was embarrassed and humiliated and SORE and swore that day that I never would attempt it again, and warned all those around me that if I ever started talking crazy talk and saying things like I wanted to try it again to immediately remind me of that day and tell me to snap out of it.
Sadly for me, no one has done that yet.
I was initially going to sign up for the Indy Mini again and do it with a very large group of my friends who are also all doing it....but as I brought up the registration page and began to enter my credit card information, it occurred to me that it was the same day as my cousin Katherine's wedding in Arizona and I wouldn't be able to participate. I could not believe how upset I was about not being able to sign up. I decided to still "train" like I was going to do a half marathon even though I didn't actually have a half marathon to train for.
I bet you can guess how well that went.
Honestly, I have done some running but very minimal and very haphazardly. I will run on the treadmill every once in a while when the mood struck me but with no official plan and if I got on the treadmill and got tired, I'd just stop. Not exactly the kind of stellar, constructive training the experts would recommend.
Last week, I decided this was ridiculous, I was going to start the same training plan that Chris did last year but only run it to the half marathon level. So, I did. I ran 3 miles last Tuesday and 4 miles last Wednesday. And then woke up on Thursday with the inability to walk.
I quickly recognized my symptoms as something my dad had had in the past, plantar fasciitis. I rested my foot until the Tuesday 3 days ago and then ran 3 miles again. Wednesday, the pain was back. So, there went my brilliant plan. I contacted my friend Matt who is a podiatrist and he said to come in so he could give me a cortisone shot in the heel (um...OW!) and some inserts for my shoe.
So, that appointment is scheduled for Monday...but in the meantime. I am going to start training for the half marathon I have selected as the half marathon I am going to run.......
That means, I need to start my 12 week training plan on February 22. Up until then, I will be repeating the following training plan:
Pre-training schedule.
You should be able to run this schedule for four to five weeks without much discomfort before starting the half marathon program. If not, give yourself some time to build up to that level gradually, or you may risk injury.
| Mon. | Tue. | Wed. | Thu. | Fri. | Sat. | Sun. | ||||
| Pre- Train | Off | 3M | 4M | 4M | Off | 3M | 5M |
I will train with my friend Tracey who also trained for and participated in the triathlon with me last year. She has since moved to Tennessee (sad face) so there will be a lot of texting and Facebooking with each other to keep each other accountable...but whenever she is in town. We will train together. Knowing someone else is doing it with me is half the battle!
I also have a fun new toy that is the same Garmin watch that Chris has used for his marathon training. So, for a while, this blog is going to be dedicated to my training and a place for me to report my progress (or lack there of) I would love any feedback and/or encouragement at any time. It is what sustains me!
Stay tuned for my 3 mile run #1 report on 1/1/11!!!!


7 comments:
You go girl! I would tell you that you're nuts...but that won't help. :) It sounds like you have an awesome plan and I KNOW you can do it. Have fun along the journey!
Thanks Lee!!!!!!!! I am a little nervous but even if I make it to the race and can't finish, at least I did the training and possibly have lost some weight along the way! :) You're welcome to join me!!!!! :)
Now, now. You WILL finish! Even if you walk 99% of it, you will finish it! Proud of you!
Keep at it Molly...we know you can do it! Just a matter of keeping yourself motivated and it sounds like you have surrounded yourself with some positive things to keep you going. training with someone is always a positive(spoken by someone who claims to run...if there is a fire or my child is hurt!)
Chris, I'm glad you have more faith in me than I do! :)
Jess, Thanks for the encouraging words. I do have one heck of a cheerleader living with me! :)
you will do great! and you will finish!
too bad you did not choose the Carmel half on June 6.... or you still can! :)
I'll be checking in with you and feel free to do the same to me!
Great Kari!!!!!! I wish we lived closer!!! My training plan calls for a few 5K and 10K races along the way so maybe we could at least hook up for those!! :)
Post a Comment